Sunday, June 5, 2011

Doubts about Work

Talking with Jon the other day he said something that threw me off. He said, "I don't know if I want to work for Peak 7 anymore." That was a big blow. He has mentioned it before but it didn't seem like a very serious thought. The fact that he said it again made me realize he was serious.

We started talking about why he was feeling that way. His main thing was he didn't like how the organization was run. He loves the programs and thinks those are ran pretty well, but in terms of Peak 7 as a business, he doesn't think so. One of his main concerns was about staff. Peak 7 has never had a good track record of treating staff well. By treating staff well I mean in regards to monetary, hours, not that they are physically hurting them. For example: Peak 7 Spokane has been using a facility that has a house and a warehouse. The idea behind the house was to provide free staff housing for summer staff since the pay is really bad. That changed. Now if a summer staff member wants to stay in the house they have to raise $1,000 to stay. In addition, since we can't have boys and girls staying in the house unchaperoned, girls will be staying in the house and boys will be staying in a tent. Who wants to raise $1,000 to sleep in a tent?

When Jon told me that I about blew a gasket. First of all, the house was supposed to be free - an incentive and way of compensation. Second, how ridiculous to make some guy raise money to sleep in a tent! I was so livid that I told Jon that I would gladly allow that guy to live in our small apartment for the summer for free. I couldn't believe that a Christian organization would treat their staff like that - I should have known, but I can't believe they would sink that low.

Another issue is control. Jon was given a promotion at work to Program Director and yet he told me he feel like he is just another Program Coordinator. He said he has no power to change or do anything differently. Ryan is still very much a control freak. Jon understands there are limitations to control, but Ryan shouldn't have the sole power to change things relating to Spokane, in particular staff housing and other things. Jon's stuck in the middle between Ryan and the Program Coordinators. He's expected to accept anything Ryan changes and he has to convince the PC's to be supportive of it when he is not supportive of it. As a result, the PC's complain to Jon and he agrees with their complaints but if he tries to bring it up to Ryan he gets shot down.

Something needs to change and I'm worried Jon is going to give them an ultimatum and they are going to say fine, leave, and the same treatment will happen to the next person in that position.

I don't like that Jon is unhappy about that aspect of work. I asked what he would do if nothing changes and he said he would quit and find something new. I asked what and he said he didn't know. Then I told him he could always be a stay at home dad.

I'm trying to be supportive of him but I don't know how to encourage him through these doubts. I told him to talk to a board member but he hasn't had time. I've talked a little to Lynn about how Jon is wondering whether or not he wants to work for Peak 7 anymore. When I go to Cashmere for the volunteer/donor weekend, I'm going to talk to Brady and maybe Joel and let them know that Jon is having doubts and they really need to talk to him. I don't know what else to do, but something needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment