Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dental Bills and Part Time Jobs

In October Jon and I went to the dentist for a check up. Jon hadn't been to a dentist in 5 years and I haven't been in 4 years. Needless to say, cavities were present in both of us. Our insurance covers 100% of our preventative check ups and about 80% of cavity work. However, our portion ended up at about $1,200. We don't have that kind of money lying around unfortunately, so we had to set up a payment plan.

The increase in money going out startled me, particularly because the money come in has decrease slightly. I began to feel the pinch of it all. We have credit cards bills to pay, student loans, rent, groceries, gas, insurance, phone bills, and utility bills. I watched as our checking account dropped lower and lower. I watched our small savings drop even lower as we transferred money to pay bills. We're struggling, living paycheck to paycheck, something I've never wanted to do.

It's been so bad lately that Jon and I won't be exchanging gifts. I had already bought gifts for our nieces and nephews (spending less than $10 per kid). We are waiting to buy something for our parents, hoping I get a Christmas bonus. I feel like I'm ruining Jon's Christmas. I know Christmas is not about gifts, it's about Jesus being born to come save the world, but I still feel like I'm letting Jon down. I love buying gifts for people and not getting something for Jon is breaking my heart.

There is the chance I could get a Christmas bonus. Last year the staff got one, so I'm assuming this year we might get one, but with the economy as it is, I wonder if it will really happen. I'm hoping and praying because we need help with our dental bills.

Money is so tight I've been considering getting a part time job. I already work a full time job, but could squeeze in a few hours in the mornings or evenings or weekends to bring in a few extra dollars. I've been considering Starbucks or REI. My only concern is that I will be in western Washington Christmas Eve till the Sunday after Christmas, and most likely REI would want me to work during the busy Christmas weekend, which I can't do. Hopefully Starbucks will consider hiring me despite my hectic schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment