Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wedding Do-Overs

Last year I married a man I had dating for four years. We met after I graduated high school and started dating after knowing each other for only a couple weeks. We dated 3 years, were engaged for 1 year, and finally got married after I graduated college last year. It was a fun day!

This summer I have had several friends get married. Then they posted their pictures on Facebook, and I was jealous. I could tell several of them hired professional photographers. I hired a friend who was really good at photography, although it's not his career. I was supposed to have a former pastor do it, but his nephew got married the same weekend in California. I couldn't help but look at my friends' photos and be jealous. They were so amazing!

Jon and I got married at a camp. We had met at that camp, worked there, and ended up living there for 7 months after we were married. It was the perfect place for us. We had a lot of fun pictures -- swinging on swings, going up and down on a teeter-totter, sitting on the slide, and ringing the chapel bell.

My regret with pictures is that we didn't get a lot of group ones in places other than the gazebo my dad made and by the fence (with snow-capped mountains in the background). I wish we would have had a more ideas of what kind of pictures to do and where to do them. I wish we had discussed with our friend and showed him pictures of what we wanted. But all in all, I like our pictures. But there are some poses I would have also liked.

The next regret relates to our thank you cards. We never did them. Right after we got back, I started a new job and we were busy with the summer camp program. Jon was going to bed early because he worked 2 jobs. I wanted him to help me write them, so I used that an excuse for me to not do them. We finally got started on them in November, 6 months after we were married, but we never finished. We moved in December and tossed the cards we had written. Now it's too late to write them and mail them. I would feel like a schmuck. Besides, everyone except my grandma has probably forgot. Looking back now I wish I had just written the cards myself and mailed them right after we got back.

Another do-over I have is the guest list. I was so intent on inviting no more than 300 people, thinking they would all come. However, only about 1/3 of the people came. Looking back I should have invited all of my college friends instead of the few I did invite. I should have invited anyone and everyone. After all, there was more than enough food and who knows how many more gifts we would have received. :)

Those are just a couple do-overs I would make regarding our wedding. But, all in all, I am pleased with our wedding day. I got married to Jon, which was the whole point of the day, and my close family and friends were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment